Leighbourhood Watch – Leigh Woods Triangle
Neighbourhood Watch is separate from the Leigh Woods Society (LWS), but we are closely linked and most NHW members are also members of the LWS. NHW is one of the most successful crime prevention initiatives ever. Everyone knows that the police are there to fight crime but they need help to do an effective job. By working with the police Schemes can:
- help to cut crime and the opportunities for crime
- help and reassure those who live in the area and keep you up to date with what is happening locally
- encourage neighbourliness and closer community
- some members benefit from the scheme when applying for household insurance.
Members receive local and national information and by attending Partners and Communities Together (PACT) meetings where we can have our say and influence the police priority for Leigh Woods. Once a member (which costs nothing) you can join our email list where we circulate local information from our NHW administrator about the recent criminal activity in our area and also national information.
You will find a report in the LWS newsletter and updated contact details for the police can be found in the Link (the monthly parish newsletter put through your door). In addition we have an annual meeting before the LWS AGM with updates from the police and an opportunity to ask questions.
Finally to report an incident or contact the Neighbourhood Police Team
- 999 at the time you witness or a are involved in a crime
- 101 for police general enquiries, non - urgent calls (e.g. reporting a past event), to speak our neighbourhood police team or NHW scheme administrator.
- You can also call anonymously to the independent charity CRIMESTOPPERS 0800 555 111.
To contact police team by e-mail or find out more about NHW - go to www.avonandsomerset.police.uk, put in your post code and you will be directed to local information.
For national information about Neighbourhood and Home Watch network (the charity and umbrella body which represents Neighbourhood Watch and Home Watch members across England and Wales) go to www.ourwatch.org.uk. You will also find other useful links on these sites.
If you would like to join the scheme or know of anyone else who would like to join please contact me on 0117 9467 359, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact a member of the LWS Committee who will direct you to your scheme co-ordinator.
Liz Corrigan - Co-ordinator Leigh Woods Triangle
Remember - there are cat burglars in your area!